Harmonoid: A Music Player That Does It All
If you are looking for a music player that can play your local music, YouTube music, and display lyrics, you might want to check out Harmonoid. Harmonoid is a cross-platform music app that looks beautiful and juicy, and offers a lot of features to enhance your music experience.
What is Harmonoid?
Harmonoid is a music app that is developed by Alex Mercer, a young and talented programmer from India. Harmonoid is written in the Dart programming language and uses the Flutter framework for its user interface. This lets Harmonoid present a unique user experience to Windows, Linux and Android users. The animations feel smooth and easy to navigate and offer plenty of valuable features to help manage your music library.
Some of the features of Harmonoid are:
- Music library management based on metadata tags
- mpv based music playback for strong format support (on Linux & Windows) using dart:ffi
- Taskbar & System Media Transport Controls for Windows
- D-Bus MPRIS controls for Linux
- Small installer (≈ 35 MB) & low RAM usage (≈ 150 MB)
- Time synced lyrics for all your music
- Ability to create persistent or "Now playing" playlists
- Context menu integrations & file associations (exclusive to setup version)
- Discord RPC integration with album art support & "Find"/"Listen" buttons
- Portable (if you wish)
- Pitch shifting
- Volume boost
- Speed adjustment
- Details editor
- Cross-platform (currently aiming Windows, Linux & Android)
- Does not use electron.js
- Music visuals
- Metadata reader
- Gapless playback
- Multiple artist support
- Online URLs player
- .LRC file compatibility (manual loading or automatic lookup in folder)
- Fallback cover support. e.g. cover.jpg, Folder.jpg etc.
- User specific libmpv flags & options
- Window position & maximize state remembering
- Excellent backward compatibility. Windows 7 or higher. Android 5.0 or higher.
- Built-in YouTube Music client
You can learn more about the project on the official website.
How to install Harmonoid?
Harmonoid does not provide any distro-specific packages for Linux users, but you can install it easily with Flatpak. Flatpak is an open source containerized package format that lets you install applications from different sources. To install Harmonoid with Flatpak, you need to first enable the Flathub repository, which is the most popular source of Flatpak apps. Then, you can issue the following command in a terminal:
flatpak install flathub io.github.harmonoid.harmonoid
Alternatively, you can also download the binary file for Windows or Android from the GitHub releases page.
How to use Harmonoid?
Harmonoid has a simple and intuitive interface that lets you access your music library, YouTube music, lyrics, playlists, settings and more from the bottom navigation bar. You can also swipe left or right to switch between these tabs.
To add your local music to Harmonoid, you need to go to the settings tab and select the folders where your music files are stored. Harmonoid will scan these folders and index your music based on the metadata tags. You can also edit the details of your songs by tapping on the three-dot menu next to each song and selecting "Edit details".
To play YouTube music, you need to go to the YouTube tab and search for any song or artist you want. You can also browse through the top charts and genres provided by YouTube Music. You can play any song or video directly from Harmonoid, or add it to your playlists.
To view lyrics for your songs, you need to go to the lyrics tab and select a song from your library or YouTube. Harmonoid will try to find the lyrics online or in your local folder. If it fails, you can also manually load a .LRC file that contains the lyrics and time stamps.
To create playlists, you need to go to the playlists tab and tap on the plus icon at the bottom right corner. You can name your playlist and add songs from your library or YouTube. You can also access the "Now playing" playlist that contains the songs that are currently in the queue.
To adjust the pitch, volume or speed of your songs, you need to tap on the equalizer icon at the bottom left corner of the player screen. You can also enable or disable gapless playback, shuffle mode or repeat mode from this screen.
To integrate Harmonoid with Discord, you need to go to the settings tab and enable the "Discord Rich Presence" option. This will show your current song and album art on your Discord profile, and also provide "Find" and "Listen" buttons for your friends to join you.
How to support Harmonoid?
Harmonoid is a free and open source project that is developed by a single person. If you enjoy using this music player, you can support the developer by buying him a coffee or becoming a patron. You can also help by adding or updating translations for Harmonoid at the harmonoid/translations repository.
Harmonoid is a music player that does it all. It can play your local music, YouTube music, and display lyrics in a beautiful and juicy interface. It also offers a lot of features to enhance your music experience, such as playlists, visuals, pitch shift, volume boost, details editor, Discord integration and more. It is cross-platform and works on Windows, Linux and Android. It is also free and open source, and you can support the developer by donating or contributing to the project. If you are looking for a music player that can do it all, you should try Harmonoid.
(1) GitHub - harmonoid/harmonoid: Plays & manages your music library .... https://github.com/harmonoid/harmonoid.
(2) Review: Harmonoid - music app - LinuxLinks. https://www.linuxlinks.com/harmonoid-music-app/.
(3) Harmonoid: A Beautiful Cross-Platform Music Player With Essential Features. https://itsfoss.com/harmonoid/.